Rubrail installation – with one person!

So, today I installed the Ipe rubrail down both sides of the boat. I had been hesitant to tackle this solo, as the thought of wrangling a 20 foot rubrail into position by myself self gave me pause. But, after looking at the problem from many angles, I came up with a solution. First, i Read More…

PAINT!

Well, With the exception of the rudder, the paint is done. Huge step forward, as it now looks like I’ve actually accomplished something. I started out with Petit EZ-poxy one part polyurethane. I decided to use their ‘Performance enhancer’; basically it’s an isocyanate catalyst that is supposed to improve gloss and durability. You add a Read More…

Chugging right along!

I’ve been steadily chugging forward, and making significant headway. I got the boat in primer. Of course, once I sanded it it quickly became apparent how much fairing I had missed. So, I decided that I was going to have to skim coat the hull sides with fairing compound, sand it, and re-apply the hi-build Read More…

Moved in to new digs!

Whew. We’ve moved and finally have internet on our new liveaboard so I can finally post an update. The Lady Jane now has taken up residence in the yard at the Northlake workshop of the Center for Wooden Boats. I’m truly happy for their support and for them accommodating me and making it possible to Read More…

The bottom is done!

there’s been not alot of posting, but alot of progress nonetheless So to recap: I did a solvent wipe of the entire bottom with brushing thinner. I decided to go with pettit ‘Black Widow’. This is a Hard bottom paint, a non ablative. it’s loaded with stuff to make it polishable and slippery. And spiders, Read More…

The cabin goes 3-D!

Ton of progress this week. To start things off, I ended up having to replace two more ribs. thought I had been done with that, but the more I moved about in the boat the more it became apparent two more of the midships ribs were not up to snuff. So a step back, but Read More…

Watertight bulkheads installed!

The hits keep on coming! big progress today on the 4th of July. It was a four pieces of wood day. Two big, and two small. The two small pieces were the backups for the traveler/bridle. I also spaced these so that if I later wanted to install an autopilot I’ll already have the backup Read More…

Stemhead fitting found!

I’ve been looking for a replacement stemhead fitting for the Lady Jane. As it came to me, the boat had a loosely held on amalgum of hardware hanging out of a hole in the deck. It was comprozed of a worn bronze bow loop, two bent up and modified stainless steel tangs, and a brass Read More…

Setbacks.

Well, last weekend I had a few setbacks on the progress on getting the Lady Jane done. I began the day by trying to finish off removing misc hardware and scraping the interior paint. Previously i had limited my paint removal efforts to the bottom of the boat and the areas i nmeeded to to Read More…

Replacing Ribs, part one.

Now that the paint has been removed from the bottom, I’m tackling the most pressing repairs; the boat needs four ribs replaced. I want to get this taken care of first, so the hull is back to where it needs to be, structurally. I’ve discovered that this boat was fastened with brass hardware, and that Read More…

Paint removal, and Taking up.

The paint on the Lady Jane was in rough shape. Here’s a shot. Coming off in flakes, and generally just a mess. I have made significant progress. I had been scraping the paint, but a few weeks ago, i noticed something else. See, wooden boats of this style of construction (carvel planked) are sensitive to Read More…

Countdown to 2017 R2AK

Shesh. after a layoff at work taking a big bite out of my R2AK budget, I’m finally back to getting prepped for R2AK. Sadly, i had to curtail some of my bigger ticket modifications. I’ll still have oars, and not a new Hobie Drive. I’ll also still have the same set of tarps for sails. Read More…

Preparing for 2017

Well, I’m in it again- I’ll be doing the first leg again in 2017. I’ve begun re-evaluating what worked and didn’t last year.  The oars have got to go. While I previously have carried oars on the Minnow, it does not row well. With the flat bottom, it does not track well without input from Read More…

Almost ready to go

Yesh. Two weeks left till i leave. And… I think I’ll be ready. I’ve been a bit of a slacker on posting updates lately, as i’ve been so busy. but progress has been made. I have my new Ocean Rodeo Ignite drysuit. This thing is great. Decided to take a shot with the boat on Read More…

Electrical system is done!

So, today and yesterday we got a double dose of good weather here in Seattle. I managed to make some significant progress I managed to get two costs of paint on the coamings and the areas that needed touching up, I got the Andersen bailer installed, and the electrical system completed. 

Hatch coamings are in!

Today, I managed to get up to Sea-Mar before they closed and get some hardener. From Harbor island to Fisherman’s terminal in 25 minutes! Once I got home,  I got to work in the back yard, moving along with the hatch replacement. I’m happy to say the coaming install went well.